Monday, September 14, 2009

Jungle Baby Blanket

Don't you just LOVE Facebook! My friend, Kevin, found me about a month ago. Kevin and I grew up together. Our moms' were best friends and we were in every class together from kindergarten to 4th grade. The summer after 4th grade I moved away. We went to different High Schools but we lived close enough that we dated for a couple of years. Anyway, I hadn't seen Kevin since his wedding reception about 12 years ago.

Anyway, we were chatting away on Facebook and Kevin asked me to do a blanket for his one year old boy. AWESOME!! I asked him what kind and in true male form he replied, "oh whatever, something boyish". Okay, non-helpful. And honestly, I wasn't worried that Kevin would like it, I was worried that his WIFE would like it. So after a few more "no really, what kind" questions from me I decided to narrow the scope. Jungle, Dick and Jane, Stars, Ocean. Kevin picked 'jungle'. HOORAY!! I searched all over for the right jungle fabric. I looked at Michael Miller's stuff and Alexander Henry's Urban Jungle - just not quite right for this project.


The first time I saw this jungle print I wasn't that excited about it. But when I came back to it a little later I remembered all the coordinating fabrics that I already had and BAM that was the one. It's from Joann.com (of course they didn't have it in the store - isn't that just the way it always goes?).


I love the texture of the lined chenille in some of the blocks and I way, way, love all the trims that I used. There is no batting. I love the blankets that don't have batting because they are so light and comfy. My kids prefer them as well. The backing is just blue and white gingham flannel. To hold the back and front together, I top-stiched around the center grouping of blocks and around the next layer of blocks. Next time I think I'll just do a few squares by hand. I think it will take the same amount of time.

I wish I'd taken a close up of the binding. It's hand stiched and the corners are mitered. I think the blanket measured at 46X55.

Then, the moment of truth...I was actually going to be driving by Kevin's house so I offered to drop it off. I know, so nice of me. I REALLY wanted to see the look on their faces when they saw it. So, Kevin's wife (who is super cute) says, "Okay, I'm really nervous - because when Kevin said he bought a blanket without me seeing it I was worried." No kidding. So I pulled out the blanket (hold breath) and they loved it. In fact, Ana said the colors were perfect to go with the little boy's room (exhale). I'm telling you what, all my fabric purchases are INSPIRED!!














2 comments:

  1. That really did turn out cute. Way to go, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad the pictures made it to you just fine. What a beautiful job you did on that quilt.

    ReplyDelete